::GTapex:: - Naturally Aspirated Skills
November 19, 2017, 01:45:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Cars Coming.. At some point..

Nissan: GT-R, Sky80, BNR32, HCR32, PS13,
Subaru: GC8
Toyota: GX81 MKII, AE86 Levin, TE27
Honda: DC2
VW: RSI

Released: AE86 Trueno, DR30 Skyline, KPGC10 Skyline(Beta)
GTapex Mp3 Player: Launch!

READ THE RULES! They're your friends.. Go Ahead. Read 'em. Even if you dont want to.

FAQ ON USING PARTS FOR RACER : Read this before asking, its probably been answered before.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poly/Nurbs/Splines what's best for Car Modeling?  (Read 5207 times)
12iceR_X
User

« on: January 03, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »

What's the best method for modeling cars? Poly, nurbs or spline Huh?
i'm using 3D Studio Max 7 by the way
OZ
[Absolute Dicktator]
GTapex Enforcer

To the '80s

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 05:28:27 PM »

as much as I'm suposed to help people on their way to greatness, i can't resist a call for a little bashing... I'll try to contain myself...

Honestly, you wouldn' be asking this question if you knew what Poly modeling, Nurbs modeling and Spline modeling are... but ohwell...

Poly modeling = Spline modeling = Vertice modeling. Poly modeling and spline modeling are basicaly the same thing, vertices, if you understand what a vertice is, you can understand what both are. You will build the desired surface by giving it it's vertices points, and therefore it's splines and polys...

Nurbs modeling = Surface modeling. Nurbs doesn't base it's construction method into vertex the same way that poly modeling does. You create a surface and change it using nod controls and other elements in order to create the desired shape. In this method the amount of polys created to achieve the desired shape is irrelevant.

This is a start for you, the question you asked could be writen the like this, what is best for drawing? Pencil or mechanical pencil? If you stop to think, both do the same, and if you know how to use they, you can achieve the same result by going through different methods... the sames aply to how you can model a car...

anyway go model on zmod Tongue 3ds is too much for you Tongue

GTApex Staff - keeping the No0bs away from GTApex since 2004!
12iceR_X
User

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 02:09:15 AM »

a lil bashin' never hurt (-_~)...been messing around modeling programs off and on for months...come to a conclusion that zmod is best for me ....its interface is straight forward and what not compared to others, anyways thanks for the help....and bashing Smiley
discoquinn
User

Speed Hero

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 05:43:28 PM »

Ricer X? Is this the one I know?

If your looking for a start in 3dsmax, I suggest beginning with a rim tutorial, the learning curve maybe steeper, but the tools available and the quality of those tools surpass Zmod.

english_beans
User

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 07:21:11 PM »

as much as I'm suposed to help people on their way to greatness, i can't resist a call for a little bashing... I'll try to contain myself...

Honestly, you wouldn' be asking this question if you knew what Poly modeling, Nurbs modeling and Spline modeling are... but ohwell...

Poly modeling = Spline modeling = Vertice modeling

What a load of rubbish, what planet are you on? poly modeling is the same as spline modeling! what...!? ok i see the point you are trying to make (very badly btw) in that these methods both manipulate vertex points to get the desired shape but they do so in a very different way...one of which is better suited and acctually designed for games modeling, that one being the poly method. I'll just say again for clarity, that method was specificly designed with games modeling in mind...so perhaps next time you give someone advice on this subject you could be a bit more helpfull, instead of playing on the fact they posess slghtly less knowledge on the subject than you do (and from what i read you dont have a decent grasp on it yourself)

3ds is too much for you Tongue

^who do you think you are? you cant even explain what is a well known and well used method of modelling properly...i think 3ds max is too much for you...at least to be trying to offer help on it...geez this annoyed me so much i signed up to this forum...sort yourself out man, arent you supposed to be a mod here?

Mike.
OZ
[Absolute Dicktator]
GTapex Enforcer

To the '80s

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 05:25:15 PM »

Poly modeling = Spline modeling = Vertice modeling

What a load of rubbish, what planet are you on? poly modeling is the same as spline modeling! what...!? ok i see the point you are trying to make (very badly btw) in that these methods both manipulate vertex points to get the desired shape but they do so in a very different way...one of which is better suited and acctually designed for games modeling, that one being the poly method. I'll just say again for clarity, that method was specificly designed with games modeling in mind...so perhaps next time you give someone advice on this subject you could be a bit more helpfull, instead of playing on the fact they posess slghtly less knowledge on the subject than you do (and from what i read you dont have a decent grasp on it yourself)

3ds is too much for you Tongue

^who do you think you are? you cant even explain what is a well known and well used method of modelling properly...i think 3ds max is too much for you...at least to be trying to offer help on it...geez this annoyed me so much i signed up to this forum...sort yourself out man, arent you supposed to be a mod here?

Mike.

Interesting...seems that i've found someone to dance with... As a mod i could literaly delete your post and avoid and problem with it, but as also as mod i'm entitled to protect everyonelses opinion and ways of dealing with other ones... (which you failed miserably and instead of planting yours, you decided to openly attack my person instead of my point off view... all that you your first post, welcome to the forums....)

As I stated before, you have the right to disagree against my point of view, but you made your point invalid as you only complained about it, and never expressed your explanation for what is polymodeling/splinemodeling, so I ask you, what are they, IN YOUR POINT OF VIEW. As your explanation as trully and completly vague... perhaps if we ask 12iceR_X, he will probably ask you the same thing...

And is not necessary for me to prove anything about my knowledge over 3d modelling, or in a better way 3d Art as i prefer call it, but if you still wanna ask me anything, feel free to open a topic about it. As I will happly open and discuss with any question you have. Simply because it's my job, not only i'm 3d modeller on my free time, but i'm also a 3DS instructor on my work time. So if you need anything, i can try to help you if you like.

in closure, about the last line on my post, that's just the way I'm... for you being just signed here you would never understand it because you never had a conversation with me before. All the menbers here never had anyproblem with the way i moderate or help people out, you are the first one, and just to know that you only signed here to flame me out gives me the right to invite you to leeve if you can't enjoy your stay as any of the other menbers.

Zmod is the software that we indicate for the most of the menbers we see here, it's the best option for the ones who wanna learn the basics of th modelling, and you couln't follow the joke line inside of my words...

anyway, on my behalf, you are the one who needs to sort anything... one thing i learned in life is that you never attack anything until you know the reasons behind his acts... and so far, frow what i have done, my work here is what the admn and menbers expect, so i don't have to change anything on it...

I'll leave the topic open for you if you feel like giving your explanation about the topic subject, suit yourself at it...

GTApex Staff - keeping the No0bs away from GTApex since 2004!
AlexV
GTapex VIP

?????

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 07:27:39 PM »

eh... i won't comment on the discussion per se, but rather the first post :p

rule nr.1: NURBS + 3Ds Max = puke.

both poly and spline car modelling are effective, however spline modelling you have to fully understand splines and compund objects (such as loft), and its probably more indicated to high-poly modelling.
Poly modelling is what 'everyone' uses and its the simples more visually in-you-face and that provides better control.

.endo.
Winding Night Hooligan
Crayon Master

選ばれし者

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 10:07:08 PM »

I thought i'd wait a bit.. let everyone get their few cents in, and then make a post... since i'm impartial to almost any post there is. (seriously i couldnt give a shit about peoples opinions Tongue)

We'll i think for starters.. i just have to say, at least we have eloquent members, that allways make me happier than seeing dumbass posts, but i think it also did bring up a slight issue, for the most part the people on here know everyone else that joins, but if your new to the way things sort of go around here, then things can be a bit off. For the most part there's alot of banter, and i think to an extent, we've all just gotten a bit elitist, i guess its from all the "relseze plz. posts etc, or lack of forum searching" And i'll admit its kinda bad.

Granted there are way to answer a post, and ways not to, but i can definately understand OZ's feeling when he made that post, since its one of those vague posts that really has no answer, other than experiment for yourself, and see what you are most comfortable doing...

From what I know English_beans can push the polys around with the best, as can OZ, so lets not get into some personal business here since at the end of the day, its just a model. Hey dont get me wrong, I like the bad rep this forum got in the past Tongue but i think there just needs to be an understanding, we can all still be asses, but lets at least give respect where its due. You guys both know your shit, its just your unfamiliar with each other...

I'm not being mr. peace maker here, i just think, this is a time when we should really call it quits. I know both of you, and your both decent guys so lets keep it civil.

hey, i gotta be an admin sometimes Tongue

However as to the actual topic.. feel free to state what is better or not better... since that's what it's here for.

Now... since i havent posted an opinion previously in this thread, its my turn. The reality of it all is, there is no right or wrong way for modelling cars, as there is no right or wrong way for anything 3d, as long as the result is the same, the path taken to get there is irrelevant. I for example, might start by pushing some verts around, but then i might use compound objects like booleans, or shape merging to achieve a something else, then i might spline another part, the thing is. I could use any such technique independantly and still end up with the same shape at the end. (and the last time i tried to make a car solely from booleans was using MaxED.. lol, i dont recomend that, unless your forced by the software)

The only way, is to start up max, and start playing with it.... thats the best way to learn.

"I'm just a cowboy.....a drifting cowboy"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: