::GTapex:: - Naturally Aspirated Skills
September 21, 2017, 12:45:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Cars Coming.. At some point..

Nissan: GT-R, Sky80, BNR32, HCR32, PS13,
Subaru: GC8
Toyota: GX81 MKII, AE86 Levin, TE27
Honda: DC2
VW: RSI

Released: AE86 Trueno, DR30 Skyline, KPGC10 Skyline(Beta)
GTapex Mp3 Player: Launch!

READ THE RULES! They're your friends.. Go Ahead. Read 'em. Even if you dont want to.

FAQ ON USING PARTS FOR RACER : Read this before asking, its probably been answered before.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Initial-D track conversion WIP  (Read 6327 times)
Pixel_Rider
User

« on: April 17, 2006, 08:06:14 AM »

I have decided to try my hand at converting the tracks from the PC game "Initial-D: Mountain Vengance" over to racer. I just started out working on the track over the weekend, but so far the track is 13miles long and only 2 lanes wide Smiley should make for some great one on one   action. I think there are 4 tracks total in the game, so I will be playing with them one at a time.

* MTAKINAWIP.jpg (198.21 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 546 times.)
J Design
User

Burninator

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 09:16:16 AM »

nice for action indeed, but cant really say anything else untill I see it in racer

Pixel_Rider
User

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 11:28:58 AM »

I hope to have a woring beta in the next few days, but my time outside work is limited right now. Ill post some new stuff here when I can.
_
GTapex VIP

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 03:16:33 PM »

LDD wtf...what do u do for a living that program anit cheap. A little under utilized for converting tracks y not just make them in there all u need is a V alignment/H alignment and bobs ur uncle then u just need to create the ground off off the shoulders.. at least i am pretty sure u can do that i never really used LDD i use CAiCE a lot and i know u can do that in there

I am auto stupidity

all your aero are belong to me bwahahahahahahah!!!!;)
.endo.
Winding Night Hooligan
Crayon Master

選ばれし者

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 03:30:08 PM »

Oh god.. not AutoCAD (tecnically its not.. but basically from the same family of software)

the only problems i can see arising for a CAD program like the one your using is the way the files are drawn, the way the software works is to create shapes, or surfaces using a system which is more similar to nurbs in CAM. So when you export it to a software like 3dsmax you end up with uber smooth surfaces that use alot of polys that are not really usable in real time renderers like that of a game engine. (thats a really vague explanation, but its more or less the jist of it)

Also, if you export the model in .dwg to a program like max, it tends to make a hash up of exporting the model probably, usually relating to scale issues, or snaping up parts because of the weld threshold.

My advice is to only make the basics i.e basic track path/terrain shape, then export it into a dedicated modelling problem like max, that way you can cut down the polycounts to a reasonable limit from the start, rather than having to go in once everything is made and spending ages reducing polys afterwards.

"I'm just a cowboy.....a drifting cowboy"
Pixel_Rider
User

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 08:21:25 PM »

Thats the plan, Im just using LDD to create the polylines for the track. I had to use raster design to trace the little minimaps from the game since I couldnt open the track files.

BTW......I am a civil engineer, hence the land desktop 2004. I just know how to use this better than I do 3DS MAX 6 (Which I also have). I will more than likely export it to a .3ds file from LDD and bring it into MAX and try to remember from there. I will watch the poly counts as I go, I only have an fx5200 video card in my home computer so if it lags there I will tone it down. I guess we will see how my modeling skills are now since I havent done any work in max in about 2 years. On another note, I have found that bryce is great for generating landscapes and I bought that back when corel still owned it. I may try bringing my basic polylines into there and seeing what I can get.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 08:27:09 PM by Pixel_Rider » Logged
.endo.
Winding Night Hooligan
Crayon Master

選ばれし者

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 08:56:25 PM »

I thought your might have come from an engineering background. I guess you use the tools your used to, i myself come from an architectural background, so i'm used to using AutoCAD, but since its aimed at design rather than physical modelling i've allways steered clear from it when its come to models. Believe me, the number of times i've bashed my head on the desk after someone has sent me a building all modelled up in .dwg and gone, hey make a fancy max render for me, has driven me up the wall... not saying it can't be done, but rotating a 20 million poly model in max sorta drives a person insane.

Terragen is pretty handy too, i gave that a shot once, when i was messing around with making a map, its handy in that you can create stuff from heightmaps, DEMs and the like for acurate terrain, (it produces stupidly high poly meshes on export though) but as long as you optimize the mesh in max its a good way of getting things done quick. It's a lazy program, but i think a lot quicker than trying to knock up a landscape in bryce, its been a while since i last used it so i can't remeber much of the terrain generation stuff.
(oh and its free for personal use i believe)

http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/

probably what you could do, but i guess its some thing you hae to test, since its an idea i only toyed with back when i was making my track, is to get some maps of the tracks your a buiding, since they are actually real life roads, its easy enough to guess the terrain elevations

http://www.mapion.co.jp
japanese version of multimap, and there's isolines on the maps too which helps for getting accurate landscape contours..
1. little map of japan on the right in a few colours... click on the region of japan you want to zoom in on..
2. click map again... to get prefecture... lets say Gunma..
http://www.mapion.co.jp/html/map/web/admi10.html
3.. then click again to zoom in and get district... Seta
http://www.mapion.co.jp/c/f?grp=all&uc=1&scl=250000&el=139%2F18%2F46.764&pnf=1&size=500%2C500&sfn=all_maps_00&nl=36%2F31%2F09.890&
then again.. for town.. akagi in this case.
http://www.mapion.co.jp/c/f?grp=all&uc=1&scl=250000&icon=mark_loc%2C0%2C%2C%2C%2C&coco=36%2F30%2F51.433%2C139%2F05%2F09.780&el=139%2F06%2F18.320&pnf=1&size=500%2C500&sfn=all_maps_00&nl=36%2F32%2F24.127&

then making a fake DEM bitmap from the isolines in photoshop and sticking that into terragen to create the terrain. I'm not actually certain if it would work, since i've only thought about it. But the theory is fairly sound. Then its just a matter of getting it into max, and optimizing the polycount.

Then again, there's probably easier ways of getting the same result.

A helpful hint is, you may get some lag when the whole track is in the viewport in max, but thats pretty much expected, some tracks like swiss stroll are several hundered thousand polys, the key to getting the track running smoothly is to break up it into as many peices as possible, so that the computer only has to load the parts that viewable, instead of everything. This doesnt have to be done while your building it, its just something to think of when you export the track pieces. It may take some time to export, but in the long run the more .dof files that your track is made up of the faster it will run in game.

edit* i just realised, that map will give you akagi, since i copied and pasted it from an old post i made on RSC, i tried looking for akina now, except, i can't actually find it, and the mt.akina i do find seems to be located on okinawa. Its a pretty small mountain in comparison to the other three that occupy gunma.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 07:18:47 AM by endo » Logged

Pixel_Rider
User

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 07:01:54 AM »

Ill check out terragen, but I could always use LDD and a scan of a topo map of the area. Then trace the contours with polylines and give them elevations. Also, Im not sure if you have used the terrain commands in autocad (or if it is even part of the release you have used) but It can create nice poly-meshes that I could export.

I also just remembered that I can import DEM files into bryce for the terrain so Ill try that too.
.endo.
Winding Night Hooligan
Crayon Master

選ばれし者

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 07:25:42 AM »

mergh nowonder i kept finding the wrong mountain.

Akina is actually Haruna, hence the total confusion on finding the damn thing, and ending up looking at Okinawa, rather than the middle of gunma, i knew there was something fishy when a map from initial d showed Akina in Haruna's place.

anyways.. the haruna map.
http://www.mapion.co.jp/c/f?uc=1&nl=36/26/46.687&el=138/51/02.163&scl=250000&size=800,720&grp=all&coco=36/26/46.687,138/51/02.163&icon=mark_loc,,,,,&

hopefully this should help in getting some accurate terrain for your road.

and references.. http://gallery.tsukaeru.jp/haruna/haruna.htm

« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 07:28:01 AM by endo » Logged

Pixel_Rider
User

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 01:00:52 PM »

I have put my modeling on hold for a while, so this project is gonna be a while. I have some real world comitments to tend to for the time being.

sorry to make everyone wait.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: