::GTapex:: - Naturally Aspirated Skills
September 20, 2017, 11:59:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Cars Coming.. At some point..

Nissan: GT-R, Sky80, BNR32, HCR32, PS13,
Subaru: GC8
Toyota: GX81 MKII, AE86 Levin, TE27
Honda: DC2
VW: RSI

Released: AE86 Trueno, DR30 Skyline, KPGC10 Skyline(Beta)
GTapex Mp3 Player: Launch!

READ THE RULES! They're your friends.. Go Ahead. Read 'em. Even if you dont want to.

FAQ ON USING PARTS FOR RACER : Read this before asking, its probably been answered before.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A word about archive formats  (Read 4568 times)
Cosmo°
荒木雷
GTapex R&D

32サイドアップ

« on: January 01, 2007, 10:53:59 AM »

Some of you might have noticed that I'm using a different file compression tool then WinZip and perhaps you've been wondering why that is. Well, I'm using a program called 7-Zip because it offers superior packing capabilities for the majority of file types we're using in Racer for example. In fact, 7-Zip has so far been more efficient in compressing any kind of file I tested it, in comparison to WinZip and WinRar.

Another neat feature of it is that it's standalone, which means no installing needed (though not exclusively, WinRar can do this as well). It's only 1.82Mb large and does a better job that the competition - and it can also write in their formats, most of the time, more efficient again.

So, if you want to save disc space, web space, up- and download times or the ozone layer, you might want to give it a go. Link

...and no, neither myself nor GTapex in general are in any way affiliated with 7-Zip, this is just a general notice to make clear why I'm using this file format for my stuff, which I think helps keeping filesizes down.

If you think that's rubbish, because you're using something else that compresses even better - let me know here Smiley

いつでも、どこでも、スモーキー
Cosmo°
荒木雷
GTapex R&D

32サイドアップ

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 05:26:26 AM »

Seems I posted the correct but still wrong link yesterday - it's the official program, but not the portable version. This no-install version can be found here: Link. It's basically the same thing, just a slightly older version (4.32).

いつでも、どこでも、スモーキー
Cosmo°
荒木雷
GTapex R&D

32サイドアップ

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 04:34:19 AM »

Update on the "new" WinZip, as it has several flaws that you should know about:

• it's no longer useable after the test phase has timed out, you are more or less forced to buy a license
  • it's default packing format is incompatible with every other commonly used archiving tool, like WinRar, 7-Zip, etc
  • it's got a backwards compatibility mode that can only be switched on by going the custom route during installation.
    Still, you have to know about it, but there is no warning about that whatsoever
  • it's archiving capabilities are still far behind the competition's free offers

If you put all of this together, you will come to the conclusion that this is about the most annoying move of trying to force users into buying their stuff in the recent years.
A lot of companies that are using WinZip and/or run a business contract with them will use the tool obviously, but they aren't being informed about incompatibilities at all.
This means that literally millions of people will be unable to open what appears to be a regular WinZip file.
Since there is no mentioning of this, people who receive new format files are forced to get the test version, which doesn't keep working after the test phase had expired.
Of course, this is now not the case anymore, so you are left with no real chance except for buying stuff or... not, with whatever consequences that might mean to you.

Therefore, I'd like to point out that if you're going to use the new WinZip version, make sure that you install it with the backwards compatibility mode turned on.
Even better, avoid the tool altogether, as it's archiving performance is still not up to par with the competition.

いつでも、どこでも、スモーキー
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: