::GTapex:: - Naturally Aspirated Skills
November 19, 2017, 01:44:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Cars Coming.. At some point..

Nissan: GT-R, Sky80, BNR32, HCR32, PS13,
Subaru: GC8
Toyota: GX81 MKII, AE86 Levin, TE27
Honda: DC2
VW: RSI

Released: AE86 Trueno, DR30 Skyline, KPGC10 Skyline(Beta)
GTapex Mp3 Player: Launch!

READ THE RULES! They're your friends.. Go Ahead. Read 'em. Even if you dont want to.

FAQ ON USING PARTS FOR RACER : Read this before asking, its probably been answered before.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Racer : Gtapex edition  (Read 7307 times)
.endo.
Winding Night Hooligan
Crayon Master

選ばれし者

« on: May 02, 2007, 07:37:08 PM »

I was reading the death of racer thread, and i was thinking we should really try and put together a special edition that demonstrates the potential of Racer.

What i suggest is that we come up with set car/track standards, ie max polycounts, texure sizes/style, and aim to create a mod that is consitent in quality accross the board. I know we've got some quality talent here and there, and im sure if we pool our resources we could make something that makes racer a true next gen contender. This is going to be a long term project obviously since we all have our comitments.... but im sure it'll be worth while.

*obviously there's going to be a hefty bit of quality control in terms of what gets included, just a warning to avoid being upset/dissapointed etc....

some base sort of guidelines...(mabye 10-15 depends really)
20-25k per car body incl. interior, 1.5 per wheel max, must incl. LODs, and blur models, max 1x1024 body texture, 1x1024 interior texture, 1x512 glass tex, plus, any additional light, wheel, textures...
a standard set of car shaders, with sunmap, fresnel, spec etc..
high quality drawn/baked textures

track... (mabye 2)
look at tops's tracks.....

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 08:05:10 PM by endo » Logged

"I'm just a cowboy.....a drifting cowboy"
OZ
[Absolute Dicktator]
GTapex Enforcer

To the '80s

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 01:22:43 AM »

not a bad idea i can say... be sure that i'll find a way to help... just need to shave some polys from my rims Tongue

GTApex Staff - keeping the No0bs away from GTApex since 2004!
CrazeDog
User

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 03:40:25 AM »

acctually what you have said here is true the most ppl who have driven in racer coming with news like:(i say things what some of the modders of SLRR have said)

"It's cool and nice, but the Physics is not written well in the .ini files, and why .ini for physycs?:S" this what it is... I have the same opinion becoase of some ppl who can model and who can texture..but they can't write normal .ini file; so they have nice car with shitty .ini.

anyway i think your idea is good:) and it should happen i dunno if i can help..cuz i work in 3dsmax and not in Zmod

**RUSSIAN BLOOD**

4yBaK @ SMcars.net /aka Crazy_Ivan
discoquinn
User

Speed Hero

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 04:08:58 AM »

The problem I see with racer is the lack of balance.

There is a lot of room for modification, however, there is also very little stability.

If you wish to achieve a better balance with Racer, present it as a finished product. FSR was the closest so far in releasing a professional looking edition of Racer. However, it was still just a "modification". FSR's D1 mod required you to down load the original file from some floating link that changes and having to surf Laggy race-sim-central to sift through pages of threads to find a working link from some sketchy advertisement download site. Then having to download all the tracks and cars separately and install them yourself if you knew what you were doing, only to have configuration issues with various amounts of control devices.

Racer can be a great game, but it needs to appeal more to those who are not computer savvy. It should be a point and click simple interface that works with many control devices and doesn't have weird crash bugs. Once racer is setup correctly by altering a bunch of files to suit it to your specific configuration it runs nicely and is highly mod-able. Having a consistent intake of new users results in frustration for the veterans, but it also results in long term game community, and a greater amount of opportunity.

.endo.
Winding Night Hooligan
Crayon Master

選ばれし者

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 08:19:07 AM »

did you actually read my post (your post would be better off on racer's forum no)

.... anyways, exactly what you posted. is why im thinking of putting this together, where the cars are made to strict standards.

all stock, no mods and modelled/textured to the same quality... ie look at Bumper's aston, or Ttr's updated R34 for an idea of what im talking about.

Cosmo°
荒木雷
GTapex R&D

32サイドアップ

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 12:05:34 PM »

The idea is good, maybe it's a good example for others to compare their work with at some point. Though I think it's unlikely to change much in terms of Racer development, as it's not going to be a huge thing, not the amount of content a retail game would have for instance. That's not much of an issue if you just want to have it as a statement, however.

The only problem I see for this, as stupid as it sounds, is Racer itself with exactly the kind of trouble DQ mentioned. Let's say we start working now and base everything on the current stable 0.5.3b5 version - and next week, next month, this christmas... Ruud releases an update that throws things about. If Ruud would actually get the majority of bugs ironed out at least and released a new final version, then I think this would make more sense, as a final is there for a rather long time.
Truth is though, if you're working on Racer every free day, you aren't sticking to finals anyway, you're always desperately waiting for the next beta that brings a tiny improvement ^^ So, just like in the game industry, if you want to leave a lasting impression, you have to be way ahead of things, which in Racer world is impossible due to the lack of communication between Ruud and the community and the nonexistence of frequent/scheduled updating.
Maybe this sounds pessimistic again, but even if you have a handful of equally great cars and 2 matching quality tracks - I doubt many people will see this as motivation to get their own content to that level - or better even, above it - instead, they will download it, play 15min and then start modding stuff, which eventually leads to them moaning about locked files and "missing textures" and all that silly crap.

Oh yeah, DQ, I'm not trying to sound like a smartass, but Racer is not a game. You keep calling it a game and you keep comparing it with games like MBWR or similar sometimes, but that's just not it. Racer is multiplatform. Racer is free. Racer is developed by a single guy, dutch on top XD Racer is not highly moddable, because it's just an empty shell to begin with so all content is user made. Even the standard cars and tracks are not made by Ruud, they are all from the community.
This is not an excuse for bugs etc, but it's an explanation. Professional sim racers take their time to fine tune their controller setups as well, be it in GTR2 or rFactor or somewhere else. If you spend months or years on creating a car or track, I don't think it's a big deal to spend an afternoon at the most, to set up your controller, driving aids, visuals and so on, even if it's less convenient to do in .ini files than with a GUI menu. If you want a bit more convenience, use Raven, it's a great tool that enables you to change the majority of important bits in a simple click menu.
...and that brings me to another comparison: I guess it might become clearer what Racer really is if you compare it with an OS. With an OS alone you can't play games, you can#t create image files and you can't compose music. An OS is not meant to do those things, even if MS want to make you believe it is, it's meant to enable you to run your software add-ons on your hardware. That's what Racer does; it enables you to run your content in a simulation environment. It's not a game Grin

edit: oh yeah, of course I'm just rambling here, not like I wouldn't support it anyway.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 12:09:41 PM by Cosmo » Logged

いつでも、どこでも、スモーキー
.endo.
Winding Night Hooligan
Crayon Master

選ばれし者

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 01:51:59 PM »

the aim is not to engcourage people to join in on the racer, but rather to offer a quality package that contains more than just one car and a pretty empty track (and old track), that really shows off what racer can do. What other reason do you need than to create something that is on par with any Triple A racing title.

Either way, i know people will just downloaded mess with it for 15mins, its a free program, you dont really expect people to try and get their moneys worth, if you are force to pay for something, you generally want to find out what your money got you... if its free you don't care.

Ultimately what build it gets based on is a moot point, with the exception of physics and handling, of course the cars should handle realistically, but judging by the time delay between updates i dont see any major/useful bug fixes happening, so if we built upon the current beta, they'red be very little improvement....

But ultimately the reason is to provide some real wow factor, if the community isnt going to give people kudos for doing work, we might as turn a few heads of folk that spend their lives waiting for the next big console game, and get them to say "holy crap, and that game is free".....

then again.. i could allways just do it myself
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 01:55:25 PM by endo » Logged

Cosmo°
荒木雷
GTapex R&D

32サイドアップ

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 02:47:46 PM »

I got you clearer now, maybe a bit of a misunderstanding before. I support the idea and project, as I said, just had the impression of a slightly different purpose, because of all the discussion in the last day that we both took part in.

いつでも、どこでも、スモーキー
.endo.
Winding Night Hooligan
Crayon Master

選ばれし者

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 04:17:47 PM »

oh no no, lol, i guess its quite easy to take the two statements being related.
only natural i assume, lol.

really i just want to make a really nice showcase version of racer, thats a what if  racer final... complete with dodgy bugs.

AlexV
GTapex VIP

?????

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 10:22:42 PM »

I'm basically supportive of the idea, even if i haven't released anything scratch made for Racer yet for a number of reasons and even if i can't make a decent INI.
I haven't touched Racer in at least 2 months, but still i visit the forums, download the cars and build my own with Racer in mind.
Anyway i agree with most of what was said ehre, so no need to repeat it.
So, this Gtapex release, would it be a themed ting? like FSR's RacerD1GP?

Too bad we don't have a couple of experienced programmers around here  Undecided

PS: at least this should serve as an excuse for j00 to finish your WIPS, Endo! Cheesy

.endo.
Winding Night Hooligan
Crayon Master

選ばれし者

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 06:17:31 PM »

i think the aim is to get a GTHD feel, lots of eyecandy, and a selection of nice cars,
but in terms of car choices, no theme just, stock, and nice... things that rank high on our cool wall.

lol wont be any time soon that ill jump on my WIP train, got a long summer of work, but once thats done, ive got a few suprises.

RE turbo G
mr. hamtaro
GTapex Enforcer

step to the beat!

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 11:33:11 AM »

this would be still something interesting to do..

not so much for the "racer community" though.. but just for the sake of having a good place for us to drive..

and if that works out, we could have a standard track for driving/tuning challenges in the long run.

GTapex has more tyte cars than you. that's why your mom likes us better.
The Dark Shadow
User

Am I annoying you yet?

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 12:52:07 PM »

The menus are done.
 Tongue
Hamthingy rotates.
The second screen is the loading screen.
Oh and i know the fonts are white on white but i can't find anything to open those damn dtf/dft/whatever font files.
 Cheesy

* racer_gtapex_edition.jpg (79.54 KB, 800x500 - viewed 462 times.)

* racer_gtapex_edition2.jpg (44.25 KB, 800x500 - viewed 434 times.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 12:54:33 PM by The Dark Shadow » Logged
AlexV
GTapex VIP

?????

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 12:54:23 PM »

rofl!
plz rlz!

RE turbo G
mr. hamtaro
GTapex Enforcer

step to the beat!

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 12:59:42 PM »

that's actually kinda neat..

GTapex has more tyte cars than you. that's why your mom likes us better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: