::GTapex:: - Naturally Aspirated Skills
September 19, 2017, 09:03:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New Cars Coming.. At some point..

Nissan: GT-R, Sky80, BNR32, HCR32, PS13,
Subaru: GC8
Toyota: GX81 MKII, AE86 Levin, TE27
Honda: DC2
VW: RSI

Released: AE86 Trueno, DR30 Skyline, KPGC10 Skyline(Beta)
GTapex Mp3 Player: Launch!

READ THE RULES! They're your friends.. Go Ahead. Read 'em. Even if you dont want to.

FAQ ON USING PARTS FOR RACER : Read this before asking, its probably been answered before.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 Challenge entry - BMW 535is  (Read 3791 times)
Cosmo°
荒木雷
GTapex R&D

32サイドアップ

« on: May 04, 2007, 04:47:38 PM »

OK, the story behind my entry goes like this: Some time during 1985, a guy with a 5-series BMW is desperate for some more performance,
as the stock 2.0l inline 4 carbureted engine with it's 115PS just doesn't stack up to the sleek looks of his E12 anymore.
The guy knows his way around cars and when he sees a then new M5 running around, it's clear that this is what he needs.
Only problem is the money, or lack thereof. So he has no choice but to go search for some affordable go-fast parts and build his own uber-saloon.
Luck was with him on a few occasions, as he finds a low-mileage M5 stoplight crash victim in the junkyard,
which he gets the engine off of and a rare Alpina 533 B8, that donates the big ABS brakes and wheels.
He keeps the car in it's original modified state over the years, only updating to new spec parts where necessary,
mainly the usual wearing bits like tyres, clutch, brake pads etc.

Weight reduction was not a major concern although at 1280kg, the car came out only 50kg heavier than the base model.
Some weight was saved on the suspension and wheels, the battery and the FRP Alpina front lip and an FRP bonnet.
The weight distribution remained fairly even as well, 52% front and 48% in the rear. This is similar to the target E28 M5,
though a slight disadvantage to the base car 520's 50/50 setup.

Base car - BMW 520 1972 (E12), by mad_man & Outlaw

Build design
  • 1970s/1980s contemporary tuner style
  • majority of parts is no younger than 1987
  • daily driver, must be reliable, comfortable and practical still

Drivetrain
  • BMW M88/3 aka S38B35 engine, 3.5l 24V DOHC inline 6 (E24 M6/E28 M5 unit)
  • Schrick camshafts, intake and exhaust side 11mm lift, 272
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 04:27:09 PM by Cosmo » Logged

いつでも、どこでも、スモーキー
.endo.
Winding Night Hooligan
Crayon Master

選ばれし者

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 06:22:51 PM »

Cheesy mmm i do like that, looks like something that could shape up to be a winner.

hmmm, you got me thinking e24 M6 now, might free myself up a day to get one up and running Wink

"I'm just a cowboy.....a drifting cowboy"
Cosmo°
荒木雷
GTapex R&D

32サイドアップ

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 03:29:55 AM »

Thanks for the reminder, I could say it was a bit late yesterday, but in all honesty I just mixed up the 635CSi and M6 when I was typing this - the CSi has the M30B35 12V SOHC engine of course.

edit: actually, to be more precise, the M635CSi had the S38 engine as well... just not the regular non-M E24 CSi Grin Getting a bit confusing now, I almost fell for it and changed it back, lol
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 04:22:55 AM by Cosmo » Logged

いつでも、どこでも、スモーキー
Cosmo°
荒木雷
GTapex R&D

32サイドアップ

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 04:30:43 PM »

This one's also still alive, just got a new mesh so the mapping is a bit off in a lot of places. Obviously, I've been putting on some test wheels here, not the Alpinas. Two new screens in the first post.

いつでも、どこでも、スモーキー
AlexV
GTapex VIP

?????

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 03:48:16 PM »

Looking a lot better now, the rear spoiler is a great detail. Was that part of the original car or did it came from a 635 (IRL)?
Funny thing is there aren't many JDM cars into this comp :p

Cosmo°
荒木雷
GTapex R&D

32サイドアップ

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 04:54:54 PM »

It's a full Alpina package, front and rear - madman also wants to finish the E12 B7S Turbo and this is basically the same mesh (B7 only had a driver side mirror though).

Personally, I think it's great to see some different cars this time - after all, Europe has a long list of legendary sportscars and it's about time we get some classics and youngtimers into Racer Smiley Nothing wrong with the usual japanese line-up of course, but it's getting a bit dull after some years, despite ever more radical time attack cars from Japan.
Though, indeed we have a lot of BMWs this time, compared to none before Grin If it levels out for the next challenges, that'd be the best.

いつでも、どこでも、スモーキー
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: